Home arrow Services arrow Energy Performance Certificate ( EPC's )
Energy Performance Certificate ( EPC's ) PDF Print E-mail
Written by Jarnail S Sihra   
Tuesday, 12 August 2008
arrow Does everyone need an EPC?

The EPC is required by law when a building is constructed, sold or put up for rent.


arrow Sellers or buyers of homes
All sellers of homes need to ensure that they provide a Home Information Pack which includes an EPC for potential buyers.

An EPC must be made available to a potential homebuyer – free of charge.


arrow Builders
An EPC needs to be provided to buyers of newly built properties.


arrow Landlords
If you are a landlord, you’ll need to make an EPC available to prospective tenants the first time you let a home after 1 October 2008. An EPC is only required for a property which is self-contained, and is valid for 10 years.

An EPC isn’t required when a tenant rents a room and shares facilities.


arrow Tenants
If you are interested in renting a property then an EPC must be made available to you free of charge. An EPC is only required for a property which is self-contained, and is valid for 10 years.

If you are a prospective tenant, an EPC isn’t required when you rent a room and share facilities.


arrow If you are not in one of the above categories

Even if you do not fall into the above categories, you can still apply for and receive an EPC. This may be because you want to know what the energy efficiency of your home is and implement improvements suggested by the recommendation report.


The certificate provides a rating for the building, showing its energy efficiency. The ratings are similar to those found on products such as fridges and are standard so the energy efficiency of one building can easily be compared with another building of a similar type.  



Example of energy efficiency rating graph for homes


arrow Contact us for more details






Shield Property Sales LLP

Meanwood Buildings

277a Meanwood Road


West Yourkshire




This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it


0113 245 0055


0113 245 4343



Other Contact Details --- Mobile : 07958 728505 --- Accounts : 0113 3948000


Last Updated ( Friday, 10 October 2008 )
< Prev   Next >


Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) are being introduced to help improve the energy efficiency of buildings.

If you are buying or selling a home you now need a certificate by law.

Home Information Pack

Since 14 December 2007 every home put on the market, no matter what size, must have a Home Information Pack. It brings together valuable information at the start of the process - such as a sale statement, local searches and evidence of title - which could save you money, time and stress. The Pack also includes an Energy Performance Certificate that contains advice on how to cut CO2 emissions and fuel bills.